Donna Shalala on the Issues
Serious and complex problems deserve more than bluster and threats from President Trump, they require experienced leadership that seeks to implement intelligent solutions. There is nothing we can’t solve if we get over the partisan squabbling, focus on the real issues and put the well-being of people first.
Donna Shalala will work to mend our immigration system so that America can remain a beacon of hope to the world. The granddaughter of immigrants from Lebanon, Donna is proud of our heritage as a nation of immigrants and believes that we must continue to welcome those seeking better opportunities for themselves and their families with fairness, dignity, and compassion.
To fix America’s immigration system and help restore the American Dream, Donna Shalala will:
- Protect and unify families – not tear them apart. If you’ve worked hard and played by the rules, there should be a pathway to citizenship. Separating children from their parents to try and scare people into not crossing the border is evil — plain and simple.
- It is plainly un-American that families living here should be fearful of government.
- Defend DACA and protect DREAMers. Donna Shalala believes that Congress must renew DACA and provide a pathway to citizenship for our young DREAMers and their families as well.
- Extend Temporary Protected Status (TPS) where applicable and provide a pathway to permanent residency for those who have children or parents who are citizens or who can prove extreme hardship if deported.
- Pressure dictatorial regimes through sanctions and diplomatic strength, but not punish their citizens or those seeking freedom and opportunity in the United States.
- Ensure access to education, social services, public safety, and affordable health care to all families, regardless of immigration status – providing sanctuary wherever we can to upstanding members of our communities.